D. Home Renovation Interest-free Loan
In addition to a subsidy, loan or grant for the improvement of the common areas of buildings, the Government provides an incentive for home owners to improve or enhance the living conditions in their homes. Eligible applicants may be granted an interest-free loan not exceeding $50,000 or the total cost of approved works (whichever is lower) for interior repairs and maintenance works in flats related to safety and hygiene.
In order to be eligible for the Loan, the following criteria have to be met:
- The applicant must hold a Hong Kong Identity Card and be aged 18 or above;
- The subject unit must be in a residential building at least 30 years old;
- The subject unit must be the only property the applicant owns in Hong Kong, directly or indirectly;
- The subject unit must be solely / jointly owned by individuals (not owned by companies); and
- The average rateable value of the residential unit must not exceed $162,000 per annum for properties in the urban area (including Shatin, Kwai Tsing, Tsuen Wan) or $124,000 per annum for properties in the New Territories.
Use of the Loan
The purpose of the Loan is not to provide finance for luxury renovations of an owner’s flat. It must be used only for interior repairs and maintenance works related to safety and hygiene. An applicant, therefore, has to set out in the application form all the intended repair works and a breakdown of the cost.
The maximum loan amount for each application is $50,000 or the approved cost of works, whichever is lower. The Loan has to be repaid over a period of not more than 36 months. Applicants are also required to produce proof of income (such as salary slips) to prove their repayment ability; otherwise, they will be required to execute a legal charge in favour of the Government.