Read whole topic Back Print Forward

VI. How to complain

If you have been discriminated against, you should first complain to the person responsible for the discriminatory conduct. If the complaint is job-related, you can lodge a complaint with your organization's management or seek other forms of help from your staff association or labour union (if you belong to one). If the complaint is related to the provision of goods, services, facilities, or an educational establishment, you can lodge a complaint with the relevant service providers and request improvement.

If you fail to get any positive reply after complaining to the discriminator, you can lodge a complaint with the Equal Opportunities Commission (EOC). Alternatively, you may bring your case to the District Court.

If you have been treated badly because you acted as a witness or provided information for a friend or colleague who lodged a complaint, you can also lodge a complaint of "victimisation" (see section 9 of the SDO, section 7 of the DDO , section 6 of the FSDO or section 6 of the RDO ). You should immediately inform those who are dealing with your friend's or colleague's complaint such as their representing lawyer or the EOC.

Remember to make a record of what has happened as soon as possible while the incident is still fresh in your mind. The information will help you recall details at a later date should you wish to lodge a complaint, or take legal action.

  1. If I want to lodge a complaint with the Equal Opportunities Commission, what information do I need to provide? How can I lodge a complaint?
  2. Is there any time limit for lodging a complaint?
  3. Can a group of persons lodge a single complaint? Must I (as an aggrieved person) lodge a complaint with the EOC myself?
  4. How does the EOC handle a complaint? Under what circumstances will the EOC discontinue the investigation of a complaint?
  5. How does the EOC conciliate a case? Can the aggrieved person request conciliation?
  6. What if the conciliation is not successful? If I cannot afford legal costs, can I get legal assistance from outside sources?
  7. Can I bring my case to court directly without going to the EOC? What possible compensation or remedial action can I obtain through legal action?