Bankruptcy, Individual Voluntary Arrangement and Winding-up of Companies
Read whole topic Back Print Forward

1. If a debtor does not want to be bankrupt, then is there any alternative solution?

The debtor can apply for an Individual Voluntary Arrangement ("IVA"). With an IVA, the debtor makes a repayment proposal to the High Court and the creditors. If the IVA proposal is approved by all parties, then it will legally bind all creditors under section 20H of the Bankruptcy Ordinance.

An undischarged bankrupt can also apply for an IVA because an IVA is not equivalent to bankruptcy.