a. Registration marks
Every motor vehicle is given a registration mark (vehicle licence plates); and that mark must be displayed on the vehicle. The mark must also comply with certain requirements in respect of its display, colours, construction, fitting and illumination. Details of such requirements can be found in Schedule 4 of the Road Traffic (Registration and Licensing of Vehicles) Regulations (Cap.374E of the Laws of Hong Kong). General requirements include:
- The letters and numerals of a registration mark (not being a personalized registration mark) shall be displayed in either one or two rows;
- All letters and numerals shall be not less than 8 cm and not more than 11 cm high;
- The registration mark shall be displayed on a reflex-reflecting number plate;
- The registration mark shall be displayed on the front and on the back of a motor vehicle in a vertical position, so that every letter and numeral of the registration mark is vertical, and is easily distinguishable; and
- No letter or numeral of a registration mark shall be capable of being detached.