9. I am not satisfied with the compensation and the conduct of my agent/insurance company. Shall I settle the dispute in court, or approach other organizations? Do the courts or other organizations impose a limit on the amount of any claim in each case?

Under the Code of Conduct for Insurers (Part IV: Management of Insurance Agents, Paragraph 35), an insurance company is required to have internal procedures for handling complaints against its agents. Therefore, you should file the complaint against your agent with your insurance company first.

If you are not satisfied with the way on how your insurance company handled your complaint against the agent, you should then file your complaint with the Insurance Agents Registration Board (IARB) of the Hong Kong Federation of Insurers. This body is responsible for administering the agents' code of conduct.

As regards the complaint against your insurance company, you should also file the complaint with the company first. The Code of Conduct for Insurers (Part VII: Inquiries, Complaints and Disputes, Paragraph 48) requires insurance companies to have procedures in place to handle and attempt to resolve complaints by policyholders.

If your complaints relate to a claims dispute , you could, at the same time, file a complaint with the The Insurance Claims Complaints Bureau (ICCB). This body is set up specifically to handle claims disputes in an expedient and less costly way .

There is no limit as to the number or the value of complaints you can file with IARB or the ICCB.

In relation to court proceedings, you may go to the following courts:

Taking your claim to any of the above courts should always be the last resort. You are recommended to seek legal advice before doing so.