V. Privacy on the Internet
Some people may have the view that privacy on the Internet is more of an IT issue than a legal issue. In practice, it is a combination of the two. The following questions and answers are given with reference to the PCPD's publication: "Internet Surfing with Privacy in Mind – A Guide for Individual Net Users".
- Have you checked your Internet Service Provider (ISP)'s policies on using "clicktrails" (your webpage browsing record)?
- Are you asked to provide your personal data on-line?
- Have you set your Internet browser to ask you before accepting a "cookie"?
- Are you annoyed about direct marketing e-mails addressed to you?
- Complaint Case Notes from the PCPD – System loopholes mended to prevent unauthorized or accidental access to password protected personal data files of customers.
More leaflets are available on the PCPD’s website which correspond to the rapid advancing Internet applications and services:
- Guidance for Data User on the Collection and Use of Personal Data through the Internet (December 2011)
- Protecting Privacy – Using Computers and the Internet Wisely (March 2012)
- Online Behavioural Tracking (July 2012)
- Cloud Computing (November 2012)
- Protect Privacy by Smart Use of Smartphones (November 2012)
- Personal data privacy protection: what mobile apps developers and their clients should know (November 2012)
- Protecting Online Privacy – Be Smart on Social Networks (April 2013)
- Children Online Privacy - Practical Tips for Parents and Teachers (December 2015)
- Cyber-bullying – What you need to know (Revised in March 2017)